UK experts believe they’ve found essential ingredients to make life happier
In an unusual three-month experiment, six specialists from a variety of disciplines worked to improve the happiness levels of a typical UK town. The experts tried and tested 10 simple measures in the quest for happiness.
- Plant something and nurture it
- Count your blessings – at least five – at the end of each day
- Take time to talk – have an hour-long conversation with a loved one each week
- Phone a friend whom you have not spoken to for a while and arrange to meet up
- Give yourself a treat every day and take the time to really enjoy it
- Have a good laugh at least once a day
- Get physical – exercise for half an hour three times a week
- Smile at and/or say hello to a stranger at least once each day
- Cut your TV viewing by half
- Spread some kindness – do a good turn for someone every day
Of course, in England I’d be tempted to add an eleventh:
- Move some place where it doesn’t rain all the time.
(Note: The “pull quote” technique used in the upper right of the post was learned from the Slacker Manager.)