I’m reading two books that at first glance would suggest I’m playing to my geek side – 37Signals’ Getting Real and Ambient Findability by Peter Morville. But both books appeal to a much wider audience.
I love this from the 37Signals book:
Getting Real gets rid of…
- Timelines that take months or even years
- Scalability debates
- Interminable staff meetings
- The “need” to hire dozens of employees
- Meaningless version numbers
- Pristine roadmaps that predict the perfect future
- Endless preference options
- Outsourced support
- Unrealistic user testing
- Useless paperwork
- Top-down hierarchy
I’ve highlighted the ones that apply almost anywhere.
I’ll talk about both these books in greater detail in the coming days.