Juggling to Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight

kinnon —  March 26, 2006 — 7 Comments

Once there was a way,
To get back homeward…
Killer guitar, great vocals, fabulous drumming and some of the most brilliant juggling you’ve ever seen. [via: Tim O’Reilly]

UPDATE: Well maybe not the “most brilliant juggling you’ve ever seen…as Scott points out in the comments. Watch the Chris Bliss Diss Video and decide for yourself. I think Chris, with “only” three balls, does a better job of responding to the music…but I’m entertained by both. Although, ’tis easy to diss a a created work – rather than create something new yourself. (And in terms of the more balls the better argument, let me use this analogy: I’d rather here Eric Clapton play one note in a musical bar than Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai play 128. One might call it substance over style.)

Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 responses to Juggling to Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight

1. Well I’m sure you’ve seen this one too, but its worth it for anyone who doesn’t visit Tim’s blog, but does yours.

Seems that another juggler wasnt so impressed by the feat, and has posted a “diss” video.
    link to jasongarfield.com

And all this actually came from Seth Godin’s blog as he posted on the same thing March 23. Seth argues that the other jugglers routine is harder, but wouldnt get the same standing “O” because he makes it look too easy. I disagree, he’d get the same standing ovation.
    link to sethgodin.typepad.com

2. Bill, with your experience I am interested in your take on these two pieces of video. My first thought was that Seth is right for the wrong reason. It is not that the second juggler makes it look to easy, rather it is the context in which the first juggler performs that makes all the difference – a stage, dressed for performance, announcer, lights, and so forth.

From a filmmaker’s perspective (is that a term still used?) what are your thougthts?

3. Michael,
    I think the environment has a huge impact on the performance. Bliss is live in front of a large audience (who he both feeds off of and is distracted by), under theatre lighting, at the end of a longer performance and probably running on adrenaline. Monsieur Diss is in a warehouse, under little or no pressure, smug in the assurance that if he blows it, he can just start over. There’s no live audience to either thrill or disappoint.

And I find Bliss is much more musical than Diss. Perhaps, my boomer sensibilities are in play as I happen to love this particular Beatles tune – and believe I see Bliss’ love for it in his performance. Diss shows no particular love for the music. Rather, he displays technical prowess – but where’s the art.

The commentator at YouTube complains about Bliss’ posture, his apparent mistakes as a juggler and his standing in the juggling fraternity – but misses the whole point. Bliss’ audience loves his performance – no doubt feeling they got more than their money’s worth.

Mariah Carey and Celine Dion may technically be better singers – but give me Mark Knopfler or Tom Waits anyday.

Monsieur Diss may be a better juggler – but I’d rather watch Bliss. And that would be the story.

4. Wow, you nailed it for me. I knew you would have the words.

This is what I love about the blogging world – it takes the conversation, extends it and takes it to new places of reflection.

Thanks for taking time to share with us!

5. OK, but I think Eric has these guy beat cold.

6. Very funny. ‘Tis amazing how Photoshop can improve one’s juggling.

7. Oliver McMahon July 15, 2007 at 11:24 pm

I love Chris Bliss’ performance and give him all credit. The standing ovation is all the evidence you need that he hit the mark. Having said that, Tim O’Reilly has proved himself to be an incomparable juggler. His performance was awesome.