TED:Talks

kinnon —  August 2, 2006 — 8 Comments

Tedtalks SplashThere’s been a bit of buzz lately over the video available from this year’s TED conference.

Kathy Sierra insisted in this post that we stop and go listen to Sir Ken Robinson. (I did, and as much as I am a Kathy devotee, I was not as impressed. I probably need to watch it again.)

Guy Kawasaki has been asking whether Majora Carter is as good or better than Steve Jobs as a presenter. I can’t answer that yet as my EDGE enabled slowband connection won’t let me download it quickly enough. (I’ll do it in the city, tomorrow.)

I did, however, watch Rick Warren’s TED presentation, and was singularly unimpressed. Couldn’t you have at least stood up for the twenty minutes, Rick. I mean, gee! And we’re all really sorry at how hard it is to cope with the largest book sales since, oh I don’t know, the Bible. And I think just about all of us who have eyes or ears no you’ve given away all that money. (Maybe you could use some of that money for a new wardrobe – I think you’ve supported the Hawaiian shirt industry quite long enough.) Good on ya, mate, as my Aussie friends might say. But what was it that Jesus said about the reward for those who give in private…

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

8 responses to TED:Talks

1. If you hated Rick Warren’s talk, then you’d probably love Dan Dennet’s. He shredded Warren. It’s here.
    link to ted.com

Majora Carter is not as good a speaker as Jobs, but she has a helluva lot more soul, and an incredible story to tell. I thought Ken Robinson was awesome.

2. I’ll check him out. Though I must confess, I hold to a similar belief system as that of Warren. And I never said I hated Warren’s talk.

I’m still not knocked out by Robinson. Good, but not great.

3. Robinson had some great thoughts IMHO and I liked what he said – 8/10. I’ve passed the link on to a number of people.

And altho I’ve heard some good presentations by Rick, this was far from his best – very mediocre – 5/10. And I really appreciated what Majora had to say – 7/10.

Gordon

4. I thought Rick Warren did an alright job. I wonder if he was a bit lackluster because of the fact his father was in the last hours of his life. That’s a difficult time to drum up passion and excitement. May also explain why he sat.

The message seemed very catered to the audience. Significance – what’s in your hand? What are you doing with what you’ve been given?

As far as him telling about their donation of the money… he’s damned if he do, damned if he don’t. He is criticized for making the money if he doesn’t mention it. He is criticized as being self-righteous if he does.

I agree on the Hawaiian shirts though. 🙂

5. Oh, and I REALLY liked Robinson’s presentation. By far my favorite!

6. DUST!N,
    Thanks for putting Warren’s situation in perspective. Didn’t know about his Dad.

Maybe it’s just me, but I thought Robinson was primarily style over substance. Maybe that’s just my curmudgeon side coming out, again!

7. I mistated. It was his father-in-law. Recently lost my mother-in-law and know that is difficult.

—————-
    diatribe warning
    —————-

I did think Robinson did a little too much stand up comedy. Other than that, I loved his message. I think there are a lot of us out there who are square pegs with the edges shorn off. Squeezed into a hole we were never meant to fit into. The education system is part of the problem. The corporate industrial complex is another part of the problem. Churches are even part of the problem as they adapt – conform – to the education and corporate models our society accepts.

The presentation resonated with me similarly to Gordon Mackenzie’s book, Orbiting the Giant Hairball. Mackenzie’s account of asking kids in different grade levels if they were artists shook me. Nearly everyone in kindergarten classes would raise their hands. Fewer and fewer did so as he spoke to older and older kids.

For me, it resurfaced the pain of growing up as an artistic/creative kid in a rural school district. I even got kicked out of a class. My third grade teacher said she and I had a “personality conflict.” The issue was that I’d rather draw than finish the assignments she gave me. She couldn’t motivate me, so she wanted me moved to another teacher. She got her wish.

Still, I struggled throughout the rest of my developing years trying to find a place to fit. Too artsy for the jocks, too logical for arts, too liberal for church, too religious for liberals. I just figured I was “weird.” Instead, I found a church that said that’s how I was “wired.” (simple misplacement of the letter “e”) Finally coming to a place that I accepted and loved the person God created me to be.

So, maybe my personal story is why I enjoyed Sir Ken Robinson’s presentation so much.

8. DUST!N,

Thanks for telling your story. I can relate to much of it. I guess I felt like I’d heard all of what Robinson had to say, before. Like you, I’m a fan of Orbitting the Giant Hairball. Actually posted about the book back in March of last year.

Dan Pink’s A Whole New Mind, Steven Berlin Johnson’s Everything Bad is Good for You and Alan Fletcher’s The Art of Looking Sideways more powerfully cover Robinson’s territory. (They are all linked in the left sidebar.) But, I confess that I haven’t gone back to watch Robinson again – and I should. Perhaps I’ll have a different reaction. I also asked my 19 year old son to watch it. It will be interesting to see his take on it. He’s a similar type to you and I.

Have a great weekend. It’s a long one for us here in Ontario.