I’m with Stupid

kinnon —  August 30, 2007 — 9 Comments

“Next to a church’s preaching pastor, the most important staff member in the shaping of the message is the media pastor…The second hire in most congregations should be the media pastor.”

-Eric Reed, managing editor of Leadership, reports this statement made by the media pastor of a multi-site church whose web address ends in dot-tv. in his report, “Preaching by Faith and by Sight: How oral communicators are joining the visual revolution” in the Summer 2007 issue of Leadership journal. [via]

I’m at a loss for words.

9 responses to I’m with Stupid

1. Change that to statement made by a “media pastor” trying to hang on to his fat paycheck. But I might just be bitter.

2. I’ve spent most of my life either wanting to be in media (as a radio obsessed kid) or actually working in it. That said, this has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a long time.

Now, if he’d said, “next to the Christotainment’s motivational speaker…”

3. Bill, now blogging my way thru Viola’s “Pagan Christianity.” Quite the culture shock..

Rather than rearranging the ecclesial deck chairs for better “results,” Viola simply sinks the ship.

In reply to Eric’s statement, Viola would probably say – drop the distinction between staff members and laity, make everyone of equal importance, and let each member’s gift(s) work organically according to their maturity.

4. LOL! I’ve been feeling pretty down today, but reading that has brought a smile to my face. Like you I’m lost for words, but it’s given me a good laugh, although at the same time it’s tragic.

5. Just change the channel, Bill…

6. The media WHAT?

7. Actually, what they may need is an ethical ombudsman pastor, who represents the members and public to the professional staff. Now, that would be interesting to watch.

8. Bill, everyone knows that the second most important hire for Christotainment churches is the barista pastor—he or she is in charge of the “excellent” coffee shoppe.

9. He’s not saying EVERY congregation should hire a “media pastor”.

He’s saying MOST should.

Let’s say there are six million in China, conservatively. Maybe only four million of those congregations need to hire media pastors. Not all of them. He’s not being legalistic.