I have One Question

kinnon —  April 3, 2008 — 25 Comments

What book do you think GWB will have in his presidential library?

25 responses to I have One Question

1. just one huh…an inconvenient truth…no, probably to many syllables.

maybe the boys of summer…on dvd.

2. The Bible

3. Thank you, Ed, for being gracious.

4. Look, the guy is no rocket scientist, but the fact is he will *have* a presidential library. I may have a more intellectual reading diet, but its all housed on a fake wood-grain pressboard 7×3 book shelf crammed into my bedroom.

It seems kinda smug to talk smack about W’s book selection.

5. Hey … Ed took my suggestion. But I was being sarcastic, not gracious. He’s a better Christian than I.

6. The collected works of Sandra Boynton?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War (in mint condition)?

40 boxes of DC and Marvel comics?

7. Lots of Louis L’Amour and other cowboy mythology.

8. Wow. Harsh words, friends.

…a little too sharp a blade, I guess — seem inconsistent with love, grace and mercy — for this old abbess.

Some good stuff in Louis L’Amour, now… I happen to be married to a man who matches his “tall dark stranger of the prairie” type to a tee! Everyone wants that kind around when there’s trouble or something tough needing to be done…. ;^)

9. How to win friends and influence people?

10. Bill, I know you were playing. The reality is that this perception that Bush is illiterate is a media contrivance. Reports are that he is a prolific reader of history. He is probably the worst self-promoter as President since Millard Filmore. The other day, I looked at the Current Affairs shelf in Barnes and Noble, and the books on Bush are fluff attack jobs. There is no substance to this stuff. It is high school pettiness. It is the same type of crap that we get on TV. It is all diversion, distraction, and mendaciousness (been wanting to use that word all day). The hate Bush crowd simply wants us to ignore their impotence and irrelevance. And these are the same people that are bringing us Obama, Clinton and McCain. What a sad lot they are. Thank God, civilization isn’t dependent on these people for its survival.

11. Ed,
    I was just being a goofball.

I am a Canadian who supported Bush in both elections but feels his lack of historical understanding has him making a bigger mess in the Middle East than the Brits ever did.

But, at the end of the day, the post was a feeble attempt at humour. (Note the correct spelling of the word.)

12. No apologies necessary. It makes me wonder what Obama and Hillary would have in their libraries. Collected sermons of Rev. Wright and The Monica Diaries? Or better yet, what their post-presidency autobiography would be titled. “Still Hoping After All These Years.” “Bill and Hill: Our Four Terms”. No, keep up the humor. It is what makes this election tolerable.
    Stay tuned, the freak show comes to North Carolina in a couple weeks.

13. Ed, I beg to differ with you. GWB is not the worst self-promoter in presidential history. He has carefully crafted and taken great pride in his lack of knowledge, foresight, and reading. His inability to communicate or discuss past a fifth grade level is something that he has paraded in public every chance he’s had. His “Aw shucks” routine as our Commander-in-Chief is frankly embarrassing and demeaning to the position.

14. I’m genuinely curious, how many Bush bashers out there (and maybe I’m asking in the wrong place) have actually spent any time really praying for the man, other than for him to have a stroke or some other calamity?

Bill, I think it would be dang near impossible to do more damage than the Brits in 8 short years. Surely you exaggerate maybe just a little?

15. A loveable goofball if I may say so.

16. “Green Eggs and Ham”

17. “Green Eggs and Ham”

18. I can’t remember who said it, but they said it of both Al Gore and W:

“Here’s what you get when you give, to mediocre minds, the greatest education money can buy.”

I tend to think there’s something to that. Bush has degrees from Yale and and MBA from Harvard, I believe. The idea that he’s a nimrod is the stuff of hatred.

That said, there’s a difference between intelligence, in the CIA sense, and *actionable* intelligence. Wisdom may have spared many, many lives, and trillions of dollars.

My humble opinion: Bush isn’t an idiot, and he’s not evil, incarnate, and he has made some really horrible decisions. This is how real life works out sometimes.

19. Hey, he’s married to a librarian, for goodness sake…

20. Hey. I’m married to a beautiful woman. That doesn’t make me handsome.

21. I’d say you’re beautiful, Bill.

22. What about that book he was reading with the school kids that time, you know; when it was upside down!

23. Wonder if you guys spend as much time praying for him as you do mocking him. It really amazes me to hear people talk about how the church needs to have compassion for the world and how it needs to reach out….but I guess that is only if the ones who need reaching out to conform to your particular brand of politics….and tell me again how you are different from “fundamentalists” and the “religious right”

24. Hey Eddie… why so serious?

25. Harsh words