American Craig Ferguson on Voting

kinnon —  September 17, 2008 — 17 Comments

Craig talks about being an American. I’m trying to place the accent. He’s gotta be from the south somewhere, right?! [HT – All kinds of places including TommyMertonHead]

And just in case you can’t see in your RSS feed reader – go here.

17 responses to American Craig Ferguson on Voting

1. He must have just become a citizen. He was working on it, otherwise I don’t see how he could be so passionate about voting.

I love what he had to say about the youth voter registration drives. So true!

2. Here, here! I totally identify with his frustrations!!! This is serious, but it’s treated like a high school popularity contest. Disgusting. Especially since whoever we choose will impact the entire globe, not just our own nation. This decision can’t be made lightly…

3. Bill, Bill, Bill…that accent is not Southern American! It’s Celtic, dude!

4. Peggy,
    How can you suggest such a thing!? No self-respecting Gaelic speaker would call himself an American, now would he? The accent’s gotta be from some primitive corner of the south. I’m thinking the Kentucky hills, I am. Maybe he’s one of TommyMertonHead’s friends. TMH has his own interesting accent, ya know.

5. And let me add. If he were a Celt, he wouldn’t be caught dead in that fancy schmanzy suit now would he. He’d have the tartan wrapped around his waist and a dirk well hidden in it.

6. Accent resembling Billy Connolly… delivery a la Eddie Izzard methinks?

7. Now what are the poor Yanks going to do, Tim. They’ll have to figure out who Billy and Eddie are. This is my all time favourite Izzard sketch – on the Anglican Church, no less. I do doubt that Craig Ferguson was ever CoE. But that’s because he’s from Kentucky, right.

8. Do I want to know what a dirk well is?

He convinced me. I guess I will vote, but I’m not happy about it.

9. link to en.wikipedia.org

Think of Ferguson in a kilt. That should make you smile, Grace.

10. Holy Cheetos, Batman! Y’know, I’ve always thought the man was outrageously funny, but now I freakin’ love him!

And, yes, Ferguson did recently become a citizen. Would that all American citizens were as thoughtfully passionate.

11. huh … maybe south of Scotland, down in the low country where they can’t take the winters. But that’s all the south he’s from. (Aside … the American southern accent is derived from Scots and Irish immigrants).

This is one of the best “rants” on political involvement I’ve ever seen.

12. He’s a Scot.

13. Ed. Thanks. 🙂

The questioning of Craig’s ethnicity was done for humourous effect. I’m a Canadian of Scots Irish decent. (Kinnon is a shortened MacKinnon – though the Kinnons came to Canada from Ireland. My mother was an Elliott. Her people from Scotland.) Note the technorati tag, “if it’s not Scottish, it’s crap.” A reference to an SNL character created by Scottish-born, Toronto-raised Mike Myers.

I found the Ferguson clip both funny and important. Ferguson (good Scots name that it is) speaks to his fellow (or should I say, “now fellow”) Americans with a rather broad Scottish accent. Mildly incongruous. But his message is well read (teleprompter) and well said.

And that would be whether he’s a Scot, a Yank or someone from the beautiful Kentucky hills.

14. How about a comment about the CONTENT of his statement? This ongoing banter about his SCOTCH accent is exactly the sort of attention to trite that he decried.

15. blz,
    I do think it’s unfair of you to blame his accent on alcohol.

16. I can’t stop laughing, reading that last comment. Perfectly delivered. Who needs a lecture when you’ve got a smart ass?

17. Yes blz, just to confirm… scotch is something you drink and scottish is something you speak.